December 06, 2011

Are you in a desert place?

Hearing God's voice in the wilderness


Genesis 2:7, 1:27:   And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul

We are all familiar with the serpents guile, Eve’s deception and Adam’s sin; all of which severed man’s relationship with God.  However, another consequence was that man went from speaking with God to being afraid of His voice.   

2:10And he said, "I heard Thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself."


As Christians who have been restored back into fellowship with God through Christ there are still times that we are afraid of His voice.  One of those times is when we sin and instead of running towards Him we run and try to hide. 

We are afraid of our “nakedness” before Him, afraid when we see ourselves as we really are without Him.  But His voice calls and the breath of life within us longs to respond.  We are designed for relationship with our creator.  Another of those times is when life brings suffering and pain. Our presumption says that with the right combination of prayer, quoting Bible verses then the pain can be erased and overcome.  

We are trying to get back into the land of plenty but His voice is calling us into the wilderness and we are afraid.  There are times that God will deliver us from, a circumstance or He may take us around a circumstances and then there are times He walks us through.  It is in those wilderness times that He speaks most tenderly and our roots become firmly established in Him as He reveals more of Himself to us in this desert place.


We have a choice to make.  

How are we going to respond to God’s voice?  

Do we run and hide because of our shame or do we allow Him to lead us as He sees fit?   

It is not about doing, it is about being.  Being transformed from the inside out and deepening our relationship with Him.  As we read in Hosea there is a deep work of God that can only be accomplished in the wilderness.  God reveals Himself in deeper ways to us.  

He is no longer our “Master” who we merely obey but our “Husband” who loves and cherish us as His Bride.  A beloved Bride is never afraid of her Bridegrooms voice.

Hosea 2:14-16 (Amplified Bible) therefore, behold, I will allure her and bring her into the wilderness, and I will speak tenderly and to her heart.   15There I will give her her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor [troubling] to be for her a door of hope and expectation. And she shall sing there and respond as in the days of her youth and as at the time when she came up out of the land of Egypt.   16And it shall be in that day, says the Lord, that you will call Me Ishi [my Husband], and you shall no more call Me Baali [my Master].

6 comments:

Desiray said...

You know sis I hate those desert places oh my gosh how I hate them but one of the things that the Lord showed me a few years ago about myself is that I had some ugly things He did not like about my attitude, I have to say I hated to admit it but I had to get way past myself and learn to be humble...Now when I find myself in a desert place it's not like it use to be I can handle it much better because my outlook has changed..Great post be bless sunshine

Maria Egilsson said...

Desiray, I always love reading your comments from you journey with Him.

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful post Maria. For me, I don't think it's about shame, when hearing His voice......but.....fear. I'm afraid I'm still at the " Master " stage.....I'd love to graduate to the " Husband " stage.......and with His help.......will hope for that goal. .......much peace and love to you.....Norma

Maria Egilsson said...

Norma, your thoughtful and honest responses bless me so very much.

jesuskvinne said...

we tend to think that God takes us aside to punish us when it is out of His deep and great love for us He does it. He wants us aside so He can speak lovingly and merciful to us, to get our full attention, but at times we need to be torn away from "the world", sin, a too full life +++ to be able to hear His voice...

Haven't forgotten you, nor your mail, too sick to get through everything I should. Press my name and you should get to my blog. It is in Norwegian, but there are a few English posts (most listed on an own page found at the top)

Take good care precious sis!
Blessings, prayers and (((((BiiiiiGHuuuGs)))))
~ Cecilie ~

Maria Egilsson said...

Cecilie, how lovely to hear from you. I will check out your blog and I understand that you will contact when you can. Love and hugs back to you dear one.