October 12, 2011

Just Breathe



Life is complicated.  


It is at times messy, wild or wonderful.  It is unpredictable and sometimes circumstances bring life to a crashing halt.  Sometimes we forget to breathe.


Like a child in distress who runs to its parent breathlessly gasping, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy…”  The panic is so great that the words do not come. What is it that the parent does?   He attempts to soothe the child allowing her to catch her breath in the safety of his arms.


This was my experience one day this week.  As life tumbled to a grinding halt, with an onslaught of memories, I found myself unable to breathe.  I mean spiritually.  


As tears flowed from an aching heart full of “what if’s” and concerns for the morrow I turned to share my distress with those who love me enough to pray.  Whispered words, shared in prayer, brought this wounded one to the throne of Grace.


Held warm in the loving embrace of my heavenly Father the panic eased and the memories were calmed of their sting.  




Wordlessly I began to breathe in.  



  • I breathed in the awareness of God.  
  • I breathed in His Presence.
  • I breathed the knowledge of His sovereignty and might.





I began to breathe out.



  • I breathed out the awareness of the Spirit of God that resides within my very being.
  • I breathed out the knowledge that He is with me; always and forever.
  • I breathed out the wonder of being His.





Breathing in His word gave me wings to soar above this place of pain.




Isa 40:28-41:1 “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”


And as I began to breathe out I realized that His breath was entwined with mine.




[It is] the Spirit of God that made me [which has stirred me up], and the breath of the Almighty that gives me life [which inspires me]”
(Job 33:4, AMP)

No comments: