May 15, 2011

Same Life New Story, A book review

Same Life, New Story is a ten week bible study for women, written by Jan Silvious. Each of the ten chapters begins with the story of a woman from the bible: Naomi, Hannah, Leah, Rabah, Deborah, etc.  The author also includes stories from other women who faced adversity and she illustrates how each overcame the challenge she was faced with by changing their perspective in order to change their lives.

Each chapter ends with a "personal reflection" that is compiled of a number of questions that can be used for small group discussion.  There is also a "journal entry" section that appears to be more for personal reflection.

The author examines some of the fears which are common to all of us and she uses examples and quotes wisely to bring out biblical truths.
Many of our fears are tissue-paper-thin, and a single courageous step would carry us clear through them." --Brendan Francis
Personally I really enjoyed this book and there were quite a few things that challenge my own perspective and way of thinking.  However, I don't know how suitable it would be for a small group setting as it seems more appropriate as a "self-help" type of book.

About the author
Jan Silvious, an author, speaker, and professional life coach, is known for her biblically sound, psychologically positive answers to women's challenges. A former radio co-host with Kay Arthur for five years, Jan was also a speaker for eight years with Women of Faith.

My rating
I would rate this book 5 stars out of 5. 

disclaimer
I received this book to review from Booksneeze books for bloggers program.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: