March 29, 2011

A Pool Of Mercy

Time had eroded the obscure longing burrowed deep within the realm of my soul. But there was something different about today. A hidden incandescence illuminated the hunger of my heart.

An unraveling of my external shell exposed the rift between what I live and what I believe. Embers of hope began to flourish once more. This day felt like a sacred hinge between the past and what may be.


This ripening moment of faith collided with my doubt as I peered down into the troubled waters. An angel stood and beckoned me to step down into the waters of mercy. Irrepressible hunger propelled my broken body closer to the water’s edge. Then in agony of stillness I watched as another took my place. Once again my journey to wholeness crashes in defeat and despair.

A voice echoes across the rippling pool calling my name. I, the one who had been lying on the porticoes of life for many years, was being asked if I want to be healed. This present moment of time shimmered with promise even as the pool was still; the angel was gone and the opportunity was lost. He answered not one of my excuses.

“Rise,” commanded the voice. Without conscious thought my trembling limbs unfurled as I looked down with astonishment. “Take up your bed and walk.” Limbs once paralyzed shook with effort as I struggled to my feet. Greater though was the miracle that repaired and nourished my once wizened soul; “He has made me whole.”

John 5:4-11
For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Bethesda, which has five porticoes. In these lay a multitude of invalids, blind, lame, paralyzed. One man was there, who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him and knew that he had been lying there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?” he sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is troubled, and while I am going another steps down before me.” Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your pallet, and walk.” And at once the man was healed, and he took up his pallet and walked.
************
Our life stories are powerful and without knowing them, we cannot begin to articulate to others the depths of God’s love. It is in the sharing of our stories that others begin to understand how personal God is. Take a look back over your life and ask yourself, “What is my defining story?”   

Like the crippled man healed at the pool of Bethesda we also have a testimony.  How would you finish the statement, "He has __________?"


note:  Bethesda means "mercy"

2 comments:

nancyjsullenberg@gmail.com said...

Jesus has healed me from my sins, though his word and the blood of the cross. I believed, I succumbed, and I gave to Him my heart, my soul, my life. I still believe He hasn't finished with me yet. I still cry & pray for His mercy daily. And I promise to work for Him, getting as many as I can to know him befor I am called to my final home. Amen

Maria Egilsson said...

Nancy, thank you for sharing the words of your testimony. I too, believe that He isn't finished with me either. There is such a depth in God that will take a lifetime to discover and fathom. I am so glad that His mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness. And He hears your cry Nancy.