February 08, 2011

Stand Still


In a previous article called “Stand Down” I talked about the times when we are feeling battle-weary and tired and how God may be asking you to, “Stand down, soldier”. Article "Stand Down" Link
It was based on the scriptures from 2 Chronicles 20:16-19 where Jehoshaphat was told to take position but to “stand still” as this was God’s battle.

I want to expand a bit more on the thought of “standing still”.

Exodus 14:13-16 (NKJ), the emphasis is my own:

13: “..do not be afraid STAND STILL and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you TODAY. For the Egyptians whom you see today YOU WILL SEE AGAIN NO MORE, FOREVER.

14: The Lord will fight for you and you shall hold your PEACE

15: And the Lord said to Moses “WHY do you cry to Me…GO FORWARD”.

16: But LIFT Up your rod over the sea and divide it. The children will go through in the midst of the sea on dry ground.


I have been praying for a situation for a few days and there were a number of scriptures that I had jotted down which I used when I prayed. Yet there was a persistent thought to “stand still”. This is when I turned to Exodus to read this encounter between God and Moses.

While reading verse 15 “And the Lord said to Moses “Why do you cry to Me…go forward” the truth of this resonated within my soul for this particular situation that I was concerned about.

• God had heard my prayer

• Scriptures “jumped” out at me as I prayed and read

• God had given me what I needed

Like Moses had a rod given to him by God so had God given to me a “rod”; these scriptures were my rod to wield over the sea where there seemed to be no way through.

Turning to my journal I re-wrote the scriptures with explanations beside them:

“..do not be afraid stand still and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today For the Egyptians (worldly way of thinking, behaviours, old patterns of thinking, oppression….) whom you see today, YOU WILL SEE AGAIN NO MORE, FOREVER.

The Lord will fight for you and you shall hold your peace (keep quiet and also maintain a position of peace knowing that God is fighting for you).

……but LIFT UP your rod (the promises God has already given) over the sea and divide it (lift up your voice with the scriptures that God has given)…and the children will go through in the midst of the sea on dry ground (He will a way that is clear and straight as flood waters are held back like reinforced walls).

It was time for me to take my position, to go forward by declaring the truth of the scriptures God had impressed upon my spirit. Not only to declare that God “will” but God “has”.

“For many of us the problem is that we pray and then never relate what happens next to our prayers. After you pray, the greatest single thing you need to do is to pay close attention to God's response...anticipate the activity of God in answer to your prayer. When you pray, God responds." Experiencing God by H & R Blackaby

This was God’s response to my prayer – to stand still and use the “rod” of scripture to declare what God has already started to change.

No comments: