February 15, 2011

Rooms of your heart

You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.   1 Peter 2:4-5

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?.. for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God.    
1 Corinthians 6:19-20




In the leafy, green village of Kyloe, Northumberland in England, a couple lovingly restored a church into their home.

A church becomes a home. Honouring the intent of the architecture it maintains its heritage. The beauty of the original builder is lovingly kept. This home was once a place where God’s people assembled, a place where unbelievers searched for answers to ancient questions.

This home will still be a place where people gather together with family ties holding them secure in love.

Did you know that you are temple, a church, a sacred place? The bible tells us that we are a spiritual house.

"You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."  1 Peter 2:4-5

Do we, like this converted church, honour the architect who calls us “living stones”?
What does God see as He lives within the rooms of our heart?

Would He see the beauty that we see in these photographs of this converted church?

Does He feel at home within our temple?


There is a hunger for a deeper relationship with Him; a hunger to know and experience Him with an authenticity that can be lived out in our daily lives. So we pray and plead inviting Him to come. But He is already here. He came and took up residence when we invited Him in. He has made His home within our heart.


Henri Nouwen in his book, The Return of the Prodigal Son; A Story of Homecoming writes:

For most of my life I have struggled to find God, to know God, to love God. I have tried hard to follow the guidelines of the spiritual life-pray always, work for others, read the Scriptures-and to avoid the many temptations to dissipate myself. I have failed many times but always tried again, even when I was close to despair.

Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realized that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me. The question is not “How am I to find God?” but “How am I to let myself be found by God?” The question is not “How am I to know God?” but “How am I to let myself be known by God?” And, finally, the question is not “How am I to love God?” but “How am I to let myself be loved by God?” God is looking into the distance for me, trying to find me, and longing to bring me home.

Are you ready to ask the question: “How am I to let myself be found, be known, be loved by God?”

I think that part of the answer is found in the rooms of our heart. Our body, our heart, is to be His home. When He walks within does He find rooms with open doors or are there doors closed to His Presence?

In your living room where much of life occurs do you make room for Him in daily? In the study, the office, the computer place where we gather our thoughts, is He there? Do we think about Him? What about the dining room where our appetites are indulged, do we invite Him to be with us and ask Him to fill our hunger and our thirst? Then in the chamber of the bedroom where desires and longings dwell, do we ask Him what He desires of us? Do we ask Him to satisfy the desires of our heart with His Presence?

Is there a closet that is stuffed and crammed with things that you want to keep hidden? Allow Him to open the windows and doors of your soul. He will reveal those secret, hidden things that have kept us from being completely found and known by Him.

It is hard to receive God’s love when our hearts are stuffed with things we keep from even our own view. Allow Him to transform each and every room according to His own blueprint. Then our life, inside and out, will shine with His beauty and grace. Our body becomes His temple; a dwelling place for Him. Our heart, His home, purchased with a costly sum. This is the original intent of the Master Architect.




No comments: