February 10, 2011

Easily Broken

2 Corinthians 4:7-12 (The Message)

We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. We've been surrounded and battered by troubles, we're not sure what to do, but we know that God knows what to do; God hasn't left our side; we've been thrown down, but we haven't broken.
2 Corinthians 7:5-7 (The Message)
When we arrived in Macedonia province, we couldn't settle down. The fights in the church and the fears in our hearts kept us on pins and needles. We couldn't relax because we didn't know how it would turn out. Then the God who lifts up the downcast lifted our heads and our hearts …

This unadorned, ordinary, mundane clay pot feels battered by trouble today. There is a sense of unrest with a very ill father. I am feeling surrounded and beseiged by the unpredictability of each new dawn and the increasing demands that occur any hour of the night or day.

The Greek word Paul uses for “earthen clay vessels” infers being weak, easily broken, easily tempted. Paul knew what he was talking about because he experienced this.

I know that I am an easily broken clay pot. And I am fully aware that in a weakened state it is so easy to be tempted to question God or fall into despair due to extreme tiredeness and roller-coaster emotions.

Yet Paul goes on to explain that we carry a treasure within this frail “earthen vessel”. That treasure is the knowledge and presence of Christ.

I am nothing in myself but that treasure within whispers “I know that God knows what to do; God hasn't left my side; I’ve been thrown down, but I haven't broken. I don’t know how it will turn out. God who lifts up the downcast lifts my head and my heart...”

I write these words as a prayer to Him, as an offering, pouring out my weakness before Him asking for His strength and grace.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (The Message)
My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness. Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.



So today I will “just let Christ take over” this unadorned, easily broken clay pot.

No comments: