January 24, 2011

A Sense of Destiny (A Journey of Joy #4)

Life is more than than material possessions.  God has created you with a purpose and destiny.  He has crafted you uniquely and purposefully.  God also has a purpose higher than our own personal happiness, wants, needs and desires.

The Potter tenderly and skillfully molds the clay of your life into something beautiful.  He takes the good, the bad and the ugly - the pain, sorrow, successes, victories and wounded childhood (or adulthood) to make you into a treasured vessel through which He can be poured out from.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous–and how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God! They are innumerable! Psalm 139:13-17

In this picture, at 14 years of age, I did not even believe in God.  Yet today as I look back on this faded photograph that portrays the extreme poverty we faced in Manitoba I find myself feeling mixed emotions.  Tinges of sorrow are interwoven with profound gratefulness and thanksgiving for what God has done, and given, in my life.
 
My life, in all of the mountains and valleys, is a gift that keeps me hungering after Him.  Above all, I am and will be, eternally grateful for experiencing Him.   
 
Every breath of your life has been recorded in God's book. Can you not feel the sense of destiny that God has put beneath your feet?

No comments: