November 20, 2010

Book Review: A Year With God

A Year With God
By,  R. P. Nettlehorst

This devotional is unique in that it features readings from the Old Testament. The author R. P. Nettlehorst employed a variety of Bible translations in the 365 days. Each devotion includes an Old Testament passage and the author’s reflections on the reading. The introduction of the book states that it is “to discover what really matters to God” (p. 16).


The book is divided into topics such as Hope and Fear, Forgiveness and Anger, and Faith and Doubt. I have not completed the book but have reviewed sections from each topic.

I found the author’s writing stilted and the sentences abrupt. Sometimes his conclusions left me hanging or wondering “what?” For example one devotional ends “That’s how David could know he was a good man: his goodness was in God, not in himself. It’s the same way we know we’re righteous today.” The ending doesn’t lend itself to reflection it just seems to explode and is done.

This book would be better promoted as thoughts for sermons that can be expanded upon rather than reflective devotions.



I received this book free form the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: