May 31, 2010

A World Shaken (Easter, Lent)

"Serpents," He cried out, "a brood of vipers."  His voice raised in anger. I stand at the edge of the crowd not far from the scribes and Pharisees.  I watch as these men preen and puff pretending that this man from Galilee is no-one of importance.

This man they call Jesus is turning things upside down.  My world is shaken.  At times I don't know what to believe.  Jesus challenges these men who have had rule over us for years.  Yet I hear the truth that He speaks even though I don't understand.

I watch as the Pharisees tug their robes as if shaking off His words and they turn to leave.  Jesus begins to weep as He laments over Jerusalem because they are forsaking the One who comes in the name of the Lord.

Tears flow from my eyes.  I know what it is like to be forsaken.  I find my gaze is drawn to His.  I gasp, He sees me.  Somehow I hear His voice saying that He will never leave me.


Who is this One who has come?



Matthew 23:39 "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!"

No comments: