April 29, 2010

Obedience Training

It was off to Manners class last night for Bear and I.  On the sheet there was a list of items to bring and one of them was the need for 50-60 small chewable reward treats.  This amount for one hour!!  As the hour progressed it became clear that I would need most of these little tidbits.  Bear responded knowing there was a reward. Smart dog.  But at the end of the hour, this little black furball began to look in my eyes for the cues.  The rewards were secondary and even of little importance as he was rewarded by the joy of simple obedience. 

As I contemplated this I began to wonder if my obedience to God is based on the "reward" that I feel I deserve for being "good".   If I do this then He gives that.  I think sometimes it is.  Then I know there are those times when I look deeply into His eyes for my direction and a reward is not even a thought.  I just need to know He is there, that He sees me.

He is.  He does.

Psalm 139 (New International Version)

 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.

No comments: